In today’s day and age of gay equality rights and in a culture that is affirming of homosexuality, most of us know someone who identifies themselves as gay or lesbian. This person may be your closest friend or perhaps a neighbor or co-worker. One question that is often asked of those whose ministry is to work with the issue of homosexuality is, “How do I witness to the gays and lesbians that are in my day to day life?” The answer here is quite simple: You witness to the gay or lesbian in your life the same way you would witness to anyone else in your life. You witness by sharing God’s truth, the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Here are some thoughts to consider:
- See beyond their self-labeling of “homosexual.” See this person as your friend, be they woman or man, who, just like you, has fears, hopes, and needs.
- Be willing to listen to your friend. Let them see that you are not going to be like all the other “Christians” they have encountered who have deeply wounded them.
- Since there is no hope for your friend to come out of homosexuality without the power of God in their life, introduce them to Jesus Christ, not heterosexuality! It is through the convicting power of the Holy Spirit that the healing begins.
- Remember that you can not argue your friend out of their homosexuality.
- Once the discussion starts on their homosexuality remember that you do not have to be an expert on the subject matter. If you do not know an answer say so, then tell them you will come back with an answer; then do it.
- Be as gentle and loving as you would want to be treated.
- Allow God’s love to shine and work through you, and be patient.
- Change will come!
Charlene Hios is a licensed minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She is also the founder and president of Bridging The Gaps Ministries which provides direction both corporately and individually to those affected by unwanted homosexuality.
Charlene can be contacted through Bridging The Gaps Ministries.
Check out Charlene’s free access on-line book here at the Earthen Vessel Journal. (Go to search website and type in the name “Hios” to bring up the free chapters)
Follow Charlene as she shares with us her life-changing experience out of homosexuality.
Lesbian No More: One Woman’s Life Changing Experience
- Introduction to the book: Who Are You To Speak To This Matter?
- Chapter One: I Once Was Lost But Now Am Found
- Chapter Two: Wrestling With God
Buy Charlene’s DVD–a discussion with Kent Philpott:
Homosexuality from a Christian Perspective